Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Day 3: Going cleanser-free | Discovering no-poo!

It has been 3 days since I went cleanser-free, and here is an interim report.

Skin:

Absolutely no issues whatsoever. Use of brush while showering ensures I feel fresh and clean afterwards. There is no body odor at all, despite bouts of profuse sweating during the day. Credit goes to alum for that.

The big change is that the dryness is all gone. Skin on my legs tends to look dry and scaly like snake-skin, and that is completely gone. Likewise, my feet look well moisturized, though I've used no product.

Facial skin appears a shade darker, but that is probably just the absence of that ashen whiteness that soaps/ face washes leave behind. No break outs or rashes. Skin looks moisturized and even toned.

Hair:

This is a toughie. Hair tends to be such a dust magnet. Especially un-shampooed hair has residual sebum that traps dust, forming a slick, icky layer that one has not learned to tolerate.

Texture-wise, my daily wash leaves behind soft, tangle free hair, but the thought of dust-oil gunk in my hair was getting to me. So I caved in and decided to use help. Still, I am determined to leave my sebum levels undisturbed, so I found a simple washing aid, hilariously named no-poo by the good folk of the interwebs.

Here is how it works. You need a cup of water with 2 tablespoons of baking soda dissolved in it. You need another cup of water with 2 spoons of vinegar.

Rinse hair, and massage the scalp and hair thoroughly using the baking soda solution, taking just a couple of spoons at a time. Rinse thoroughly. Hair will feel tangled. Pour in the vinegar solution slowly, spread all over hair while untangling gently. This untangles and conditions hair incredibly well. Rinse thoroughly.

Result - hair feels clean to the roots, tangle free, soft and manageable. Importantly, no dryness of scalp or flaking. And no, hair does not smell of vinegar if you rinse well.

This feels perfect! I shall continue to wash hair daily with just water, and use the above method for times when the hair feels dirty, but no more often than once a week.

Come back for more updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment